3100 Douglas Rd
Coral Gables, FL 33134
There are as many types of surgeries as there are medical conditions, but they generally break down into two categories: emergency and elective. Emergency surgery usually happens if you come to the emergency room with a serious condition—like a heart attack or stroke—that requires immediate life-saving surgery. Elective surgery is one that you plan and discuss with your doctor, and many of these can be performed using less invasive techniques.
General Surgery Services at Coral Gables Hospital
- Robotic Surgery: otherwise known as the da Vinci ® SI™ Surgical System, our surgeons are able to use minimally invasive techniques to perform procedures whose complexities once required open surgery.
- Hernia Surgery: usually offered on an outpatient basis, hernia repair may be performed either by minimally invasive laparoscopic surgery or traditional open repair.
- Gallbladder Surgery: gallbladder removal surgery is typically done under general anesthesia using a laparoscope—a thin, lighted tube with a camera and light source on the end so the doctor can see inside the abdomen. The procedure involves four small incisions and usually takes about one to two hours to perform.
- Colorectal Cancer Surgery: usually recommended for early stage colon cancer, the procedure calls for the removal of part of the colon and nearby lymph nodes.
- Gynecological Surgery: robotic surgery offers a minimally invasive approach to hysterectomy and other procedures such as fibroid removal, endometriosis surgery, endometrial/cervical cancer surgery, and vaginal/uterine prolapse.